With exactly one week left until Halloween, we at Valley Honda would like to provide you with 10 Halloween fun facts to help increase your excitement as the day draws near!
1. More than 35 million pounds of candy corn are sold each year. That comes out to about 9 billion pieces, which is enough to circle the moon nearly 21 times when laid out end-to-end!
2. Halloween is the second most commercial holiday after Christmas, with U.S. consumers spending an estimated $6 billion on Halloween each year (candy, decorations, costumes, etc).
3. Dark and milk chocolates can last up to two years is stored in a dry and odor-free area, and hard candy can last up to a year. Additionally, an unopened package of candy corn can last nine months.
4. The average American consumes 24 pounds of candy annually, which is equal to the weight of 2,366.5 Hershey’s Kisses!
5. The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that there will be 41.1 million trick-or-treaters between the ages of 5 and 14 in America this year.
6. Pumpkins and other members of the gourd family are native to Central America and Mexico, but are now grown on six continents.
7. According to the National Confectioners Association, chocolate makes up approximately three quarters of trick or treat candy.
8. Candy corn is made up of sugar, corn syrup and marshmallow. The Jelly Belly Candy Company has used the same recipe to make the candy since around 1900.
9. Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween.
10. At different points in history in various parts of the world, Halloween has been called All Hallows’ Eve, Lamswool, Witches Night, Samhaim, Snap-Apple Night, and Summer’s End.
What did you think of these Halloween fun facts? Did you already know any of them? Tell us your own fun facts about Halloween by commenting below!